France and Saudis 'Finalizing' $3bn Arms Deal, Hollande Says Lebanon is 'Vulnerable'
إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
France and Saudi Arabia are close to signing a $3 billion arms deal for Lebanon, the Elysee Palace said Monday following talks between President Francois Hollande and the Saudi crown prince.
"It will not be signed Monday but it is being finalized," an aide to the president said.
The deal is for military equipment and arms to be supplied to Lebanon's army.
Hollande told an official dinner at the Elysee presidential palace attended by Prince Salman bin Abdul Aziz, who is also the Saudi deputy prime minister and defense minister, that Lebanon was a "great but vulnerable country" which "needs security.”
"We have come together, Saudi Arabia and France, to help Lebanon on the condition that it also helps itself, for its own security," Hollande added, without commenting directly on the joint contract.
The deal comes as Beirut faces the threat of jihadists on its border with Syria. More than a million refugees have fled the war in Syria by escaping to Lebanon, according to figures from the United Nations.
Hollande added that France and Saudi Arabia have a "shared priority of peace and security in the Middle East.”
Salman is due to hold talks with French Prime Minister Manuel Valls on Tuesday.
He is also due to meet Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Wednesday for talks over the situation in Iraq and Syria, where jihadists have seized swathes of territory and are terrorizing Christians and other minorities.
Last week, Hollande rejected any cooperation with Syrian President Bashar Assad whom he accused of being a "de-facto ally" of Islamic State militants, after the regime said it was willing to work with the international community to tackle the jihadists.
And in comments carried on national TV at the weekend, Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah warned the West would be the next target of the jihadists sweeping through Syria and Iraq, unless there is "rapid" action.
"If we ignore them, I am sure they will reach Europe in a month and America in another month," he said in remarks quoted on Saturday by the Asharq al-Awsat newspaper and Saudi-backed al-Arabiya television station.

hmmmm.... finalizing the deal.... uffff.... uffff..... I guess it is real after all. Good morning mowaten

Southern said it is all suits, shoes, and shirts all $3bn of it.

I am sure flamethrower has an explanation to this. It just does not add up. Maybe Hollande and the Saudi Prince were just joking...

while you continue mocking, maybe you should tell your hizb to give the army some of their weapons, yes? Until then, we shall continue to mock you and your hypocrisy, no?

Inshallah true they will finalize this deal..even though hard to believe..our soldiers are fighting without adequate weapons..

I am sure they will say about the 3billion that those are going to M14 and Sulieman, you see if those arms are not coming from Bashar or Iran then there are always an agenda and propaganda, the same people that criticize the funds and strengthening the armed forces are the same ones that weaken the latter by continuing to operate under the leadership of Bashar and Iran ignoring the disassociation policy that they signed and did not keep their word because they are liars, oh and those are the same that do not pay electricity to the state, oh and those are the same that get paid from the state but do not show up to elect any president.

lead by example darling
Hassoun constantly boasts having thousands of arms and rockets- over 30k- according to him, so why resort to Syrian army when we have so much to share in da house
and u had 12k in 2006 and we still had a divine win so half for Israel and half for da3esh
don't you want to protect the shia and christian village ya batal?
ha?

probably on a conf call with walid al mou3alem
and dont let them turn you to a racist jerry, you'll become like then
fight the power