Hostages Families Give Qahwaji 24 Hours to 'Arrest Ministers, Swap Them for Troops'

إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية
  • W460
  • W460
  • W460

Relatives of the abducted troops and policemen on Thursday called on Army chief General Jean Qahwaji to “arrest all ministers” and swap them for the hostages, warning that the state has 24 hours to act or face unknown consequences.

“We have an initiative that involves the (army's) arrest of all ministers and swapping them for the troops held by the militants out of respect for the state's prestige,” a spokesman for the families said during a lengthy sit-in outside the Grand Serail, where the cabinet was holding a regular session.

“We give the state 24 hours to act or else we won't be responsible for the consequences,” the man cautioned.

“We want our sons, with or without an exchange, and we all throw our support behind the army chief and we hope he will fulfill our demand,” he added.

In response to a reporter's question, the spokesman said angrily: “No one has talked to us and they haven't informed us of anything."

Earlier in the day, the relatives warned of a “strife” in the Bekaa, calling for the release of Roumieh inmates if the matter ensures their loved ones' safe release.

“The government should exert efforts and make courageous decisions in the case,” the enraged relatives said during the sit-in at the Riad al-Solh Square in downtown Beirut.

They told reporters that they agree to the exchange of Roumieh Islamist prisoners if that ensures the release of their sons.

“We accept anything in return for the release of our sons.”

The families of the abducted soldiers and policemen also lashed out at lawmakers for failing to carry out any action.

They warned of a “bigger strife that would destabilize civil peace” in the Bekaa if any harm “was inflicted on our sons.”

The families shouted slogans and held banners demanding the state to assume its responsibilities.

The militants released several hostages in different stages but had beheaded Lebanese army sergeant Ali al-Sayyed.

Al-Sayyed disappeared from Arsal around the time Islamist fighters from Syria overran the town early August, killing and kidnapping soldiers and policemen.

The militants included fighters from the Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front.

The jihadists have reportedly called on the Lebanese government to release Islamist inmates from the country's largest prison in Roumieh in exchange for the captive security personnel.

Only a few of the estimated 90 Islamists have been tried. Most of them were arrested over their involvement in bloody clashes with the Lebanese army at the northern refugee camp of Nahr al-Bared in 2007.

The fighting in Arsal was the most serious border incident since the conflict in Syria began in March 2011.

The families have been demonstrating and blocking roads across Lebanon since last week to press for the liberation of their captive sons.

H.K./Y.R.

M.T.

Comments 19
Thumb cityboy 04 September 2014, 11:33

The way this artical is written, one would think that is the case. This artical seems to protray the frustrating and terrified families with a lawless image, i wonder why naharnet would do such a thing??

Default-user-icon cityboy (Guest) 04 September 2014, 11:51

i wondered the same thing mowaten

Thumb cityboy 04 September 2014, 13:07

that was meant for cityboy(guest) always ready and available.

Default-user-icon roukuz (Guest) 04 September 2014, 12:18

no only you flamethrower and your hizb have a say

Thumb cityboy 04 September 2014, 13:18

wow, the multi guest mod is removing my post faster than i can post them.

Thumb iamymasterscard 04 September 2014, 15:19

Yeah flamethrower, I can't believe the nerve of these people off with their heads! Everyone knows that national security matters should be decided by the military wing of an inbred clan, the illiterate families of a few so called pilgrims, and especially especially by a guy who hides in the under Dahieh sewers, was appointed to his anointed sectarian job by a self declared sacred Iranian and admits that all his decision are made by the sanctified Iranian cult leader he worships.

Thumb nickjames 04 September 2014, 20:44

But you said they can't be taken seriously. They should be taken seriously, just like the civil servants protesting. It's a big issue, and these people feel like the government isn't doing the best it can. They should be taken seriously because they're eventually gonna take matters into their own hands if the government does nothing.

Thumb nickjames 04 September 2014, 21:13

Flamer you're hilarious, end of story

Default-user-icon solidarite (Guest) 04 September 2014, 16:17

I wish I had FTs alleged non naharnet job, it seems that he gets a minimum twenty minutes breaks for every five minutes of work what's your local I want to join

Default-user-icon mazen (Guest) 04 September 2014, 17:33

Our military, and soldiers have all our respect and sympathy; however what those people are doing is anything but patriotic and sensible. They should go home and wait for news from the army. I am sure that the L.Army is updating them whenever there are developments.

Default-user-icon tombola! (Guest) 04 September 2014, 17:43

Enjoyable light entertainment from OTV is all that is, although when the Syrian shabbi7as were doing the executing, the tortured killing, the live burying, the ethnic cleansing OTV refused to broadcast those clips. It's like when Michel Hayek is reviewing his yearly "predictions" and the hosts bend over backwards to broadcast any videos that remotely match what he said to give his "predictions" some credence. OTV is feeling the pinch so they had to let the Photoshop guy go and this is the best they can do with what they have to keep pushing their propaganda.

Default-user-icon illiterate-Southern (Guest) 04 September 2014, 17:48

well said Southern

Default-user-icon ultrahabib (Guest) 04 September 2014, 17:48

I suggest we start swapping FPM and HA ministers for the hostages

Default-user-icon roukuz (Guest) 04 September 2014, 18:05

flamethrower how long is each of your 50 daily breaks? were you working when it took you 30 minutes to download this obscene video.

Default-user-icon Great work! (Guest) 04 September 2014, 18:24

Wow Southern it took you a full 50 minutes to have a witty comeback to something you said, you must be the cleverest boy in you class.

Default-user-icon flamethrowerbemoss (Guest) 04 September 2014, 18:59

lol@shia12345678 why you be afraid, you have hizbullah. don't be

Default-user-icon dehablo (Guest) 04 September 2014, 19:37

is nassrallah included?

Default-user-icon proven (Guest) 04 September 2014, 20:11

''If the families oppose risks to their sons, why did they allow them to join the LAF?'' As bigjohn said they made their bed now they can lay in it.

Thumb nickjames 05 September 2014, 00:49

I'm against all terrorists which includes Islamists (I guess only Sunnis can be labelled Islamists) and Hezbollah