U.S. 'Horrified' by Reports of 'Barbaric' Attack on Syria Displaced Camp

إقرأ هذا الخبر بالعربية W460

The United States said Wednesday it was "horrified" by reports the Syrian government dropped barrel bombs on a displaced persons camp in the northwestern province of Idlib, calling the attack "barbaric."

The attack killed at least 10 people and wounded dozens more in the camp near Habeet, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

"We are horrified by the reports that the Assad regime barrel bombed the Abedin displaced persons camp in Idlib and the images we saw of the carnage against innocent civilians," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. 

"The attack on the Abedin camp was nothing short of barbaric."

Video posted on YouTube by activists showed bodies lying among olive tree branches littered with shreds of white canvas from tents that had been ripped apart by the bombs.

The British-based group said most of the people in the camp had fled fighting in the central province of Hama.

Psaki said the United States couldn't confirm details of the attack, but said if the bombings proved to have been carried out by the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad, "it is only the latest act of brutality by the regime against its own people."

"We’ve consistently condemned the Assad regime’s callous disregard for human life, particularly its violence directed against civilians," she added.

"We’ve been clear that the Assad regime must be held responsible for its brutality and atrocities against the Syrian people."

Comments 11
Default-user-icon ado.australia (Guest) 30 October 2014, 07:22

I don't believe it. It's all propaganda Assad will never do such a thing. Must be the takfiris

Default-user-icon elie (Guest) 30 October 2014, 07:32

and the United States have not dropped one bomb on Assad. Red line after red line and it is all talk.

Missing --karim. 30 October 2014, 14:14

Good point, Elie the Salafist.

Thumb nickjames 30 October 2014, 07:41

Mystic, Southern and Full Dis are gonna scoff at the report because it came from the Observatory lol

Thumb EagleDawn 30 October 2014, 08:15

They believe it and quote the Observatory when it suits them.

Thumb EagleDawn 30 October 2014, 08:15

this is just collateral damage... as southern and co. always say.

Default-user-icon _mowaten_ (Guest) 30 October 2014, 08:30

lol at the cheap propaganda, keep discussing photoshopped images spread on social media and make sure to ignore the relentless deadly attacks against the the Syrian Arab Army and HA.

Thumb Mystic 30 October 2014, 10:22

32+ Civilians were killed in the U.S coalition airstrikes, we do not hear the "observatory" or you guys complain about that. You guys cry about barrel bombs, thr US are experts at targeting civilians from above. But they are your masters so you do not object it.

Thumb Mystic 30 October 2014, 10:24

All you westernes want, is for Assad to leave power, you do not care how many civilians that has to die to achieve it. Even though he called out for dialogue since the beginning.

Default-user-icon Mystic@fulldisclosure.bill.the butcher (Guest) 30 October 2014, 10:36

excellent point @full.disclosure

Thumb Mystic 30 October 2014, 11:26

http://www.ibtimes.com/us-airstrikes-hit-grain-silos-syria-killed-civilians-human-rights-group-says-1696435 U.S and their usual double standards.