Agence France Presse
Latest stories
'Everyone lives in fear': Yemenis worry about return to all-out war

Yemen's years-long civil conflict killed tens of thousands of people, uprooted millions and drove the country to the brink of famine before a 2022 truce restored relative calm. Now, renewed hostilities between the Houthi rebels and the government have many fearing the return of all-out war.

Hodeida native Anwar, a father of two, recalls fleeing the advance of the Iran-backed Houthis, seeking refuge in the city of Mokha.

W140 Full Story
Mass drone attack on Moscow as Russian strikes kill three in Ukraine

Hundreds of drones targeted Moscow on Sunday as Russia launched missile strikes that killed three people and wounded more than a dozen in Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, officials on the two sides said.

Amid the intense hostilities, three people were also killed in the Russian city of Rostov, while a Spanish NATO fighter jet shot down a drone that crossed into Romanian territory -- the second time in two days that the war has spilled over into eastern Europe.

W140 Full Story
Iran accuses Qatar of thwarting probe into fate of pilots

Iran accused Qatar on Sunday of thwarting efforts to work out what happened to three pilots Tehran says were captured during the Middle East war, though the Gulf state has denied detaining them.

The Islamic republic had previously reported one pilot killed and others missing after a sortie to Qatar in March, but had not claimed at the time that any of them had been captured.

W140 Full Story
Israel says wants 'more serious' talks with Lebanon

Israel wants new and more ambitious U.S.-brokered talks with Lebanon after carrying out deadly strikes targeting Hezbollah, a spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday.

W140 Full Story
Israel says Ansar strike targeted Hezbollah commander

The Israeli military said on Saturday that its strike on the Lebanese village of Ansar, where authorities reported seven people killed including children, targeted a Hezbollah commander.

W140 Full Story
Hezbollah says Israeli attacks will be met with 'appropriate' response

Hezbollah said that Israeli attacks on Lebanon would be met with an "appropriate" response after deadly strikes on the country's south on Saturday, urging authorities to halt "humiliating" negotiations with Israel.

W140 Full Story
Aoun says Israeli strikes send 'clear message' on negotiations

President Joseph Aoun said deadly Israeli strikes on the country's south on Saturday were a "clear message" on negotiations between Lebanon and Israel, ahead of the next round of U.S.-sponsored talks early next month in Rome.

Aoun condemned the "ongoing Israeli attacks" on the south and "repeated violations of the framework agreement... and international law on protecting civilians, which led to the death of an entire family in the village of Ansar," according to a statement from his office, adding that "these violations are a clear message against the negotiation process and the U.S. efforts aimed at implementing this agreement."

W140 Full Story
Salam says those killed in Israeli strike on Ansar were not 'military infrastructure'

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said seven people including two women and three children killed in an Israeli strike on Saturday were not military targets, after Israel said it struck Hezbollah "infrastructure".

W140 Full Story
Qassem says Lebanon-Israel deal puts undue pressure on army

Hezbollah chief Sheikh Naim Qassem has accused Lebanese authorities of subjecting the country's armed forces to undue pressure by implementing a framework deal agreed with Israel to end hostilities.

W140 Full Story
11 killed, 19 hurt in Israeli strikes on southern towns as Israel says Hezbollah attacked troops in Ali al-Taher

Lebanese state media said an Israeli strike in the country's south on Saturday killed seven people, including three children and two women, in the worst toll since deals in June saw a lull in hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah.

W140 Full Story