Lebanon
Latest stories
Hezbollah urges Pope Leo to reject Israeli 'aggression' on Lebanon visit

Hezbollah on Saturday urged Pope Leo XIV to reject Israeli "injustice and aggression" against Lebanon, in a message to the pontiff who arrives in Beirut this weekend.

Hezbollah emerged heavily weakened from more than a year of hostilities culminating in two months of open war with Israel that began when the Iran-backed group started cross-border attacks against Israel over the Gaza war.

W140 Full Story
In Lebanon's rugged south, the army works to dismantle Hezbollah's fortifications

Deep in a rugged valley of southern Lebanon, a cave complex offers a small picture of the subterranean infrastructure Hezbollah relied on near the Israeli border, along with the difficult task the country's army faces as it seeks to disarm the group.

W140 Full Story
Qassem says Hezbollah has 'right' to respond to Tabatabai’s killing

Hezbollah's leader Sheikh Naim Qassem on Friday said the group has the right to respond to Israel's assassination of its top military chief in a strike on Beirut's southern suburbs last week.

In a televised speech, Qassem called the killing of Haitham Ali Tabatabai "a blatant aggression and a heinous crime,” adding that Hezbollah has "the right to respond, and we will determine the timing for that.”

W140 Full Story
Lebanon complains to UN Security Council over Israeli walls in its territory

The Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday submitted a complaint to the U.N. Security Council regarding Israel's construction of two concrete walls inside Lebanese territory.

In a statement, the Ministry said that it "submitted, through Lebanon's Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York, a complaint to the Security Council in response to Israel's new and serious violation of Lebanese sovereignty, adding to its numerous and ongoing violations.”

W140 Full Story
British ambassador, environment minister inaugurate King Charles III Cedar Trail

British Ambassador to Lebanon Hamish Cowell and Minister of Environment Tamara al-Zein have inaugurated the “King Charles III Cedar Trail”, a new reforestation and eco-tourism initiative in the Shouf Biosphere Reserve.

The event was attended by Noura Jumblat, the mayors and makhateer of Ain Zahalta, Bmahray and Mokhtara, the head of the reserve committee Faisal Abu Ezzeddine, and the reserve's staff.

W140 Full Story
What did Egyptian foreign minister propose in Beirut?

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty carried to Beirut a proposal involving a declaration by Hezbollah that it accepts to hand over its weapons south and north of the Litani River, Lebanon’s al-Binaa newspaper reported on Friday.

The suggestion also entails an announcement by Israel that it would withdraw from two of the five occupied hills, after which negotiations would kick off in Cairo with Arab and international sponsorship in order to reach a Gaza-like agreement, the daily said.

W140 Full Story
Raad: Barrack's paper is surrender and Egypt's proposal is 'thinking out loud'

The head of Hezbollah’s parliamentary bloc MP Mohammad Raad has said that Israel’s assassination of Hezbollah military chief Haitham Tabatabai and his companions was a “targeting of entire Lebanon -- the state, the army, the resistance and the people.”

“It is their right and duty all to act in a manner that halts the Zionist violation of the country. Coordination and integration impose themselves on everyone and no one can disavow their national duties,” Raad added, in an interview with the al-Modon news portal.

W140 Full Story
Salameh blames 'Shiite Duo' and FPM for banking collapse

Former Central Bank governor Riad Salameh asserted in an interview with Al-Arabiya Business that he has become a “scapegoat” for the financial crisis that has plagued Lebanon in recent years, denying any connection to depositors' losses or the collapse of the banking sector.

Salameh stated that he is not implicated in any of the legal cases pending in Lebanon, France, or any other European country, noting that the Syrian war cost Lebanon $25-30 billion.

W140 Full Story
Berri says Egypt FM conveyed no threat to Lebanon

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri denied, in remarks published Friday in ad-Diyar newspaper, that Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty warned Lebanon about an imminent escalation as he met with Lebanese leaders in Beirut Thursday.

"No threat was conveyed to us," Berri said, adding that the threats are coming from Israeli media and not from visiting envoys.

W140 Full Story
Lebanese general says no side has presented evidence of arms entering South Litani

The commander of the South Litani sector of the Lebanese Army, Brigadier General Nicolas Tabet, announced Friday that the army does not coordinate with any local party in carrying out its operations within the South Litani region.

During a tour for journalists in the South Litani sector, Tabet emphasized that coordination is exclusively with the Army Command and that there has been "zero objection" from residents to the army's operations in the area.

W140 Full Story