Lebanon and Israel are to hold new peace talks in Washington starting Thursday, as their latest ceasefire -- considered to still be in place despite hundreds of deaths in Israeli strikes -- nears its end.
Lebanon and Israel last met on April 23 at the White House, where U.S. President Donald Trump announced a three-week ceasefire extension and voiced optimism for a historic agreement.
Full Story
The UAE on Wednesday branded 21 Lebanese people and organizations as "terrorists", ordering the freezing of their assets as it accused them of ties to Hezbollah, the official Emirati news agency reported.
Full Story
More than 10,000 homes have been damaged or destroyed in Lebanon since a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hezbollah, the head of the country's National Council for Scientific Research said on Wednesday.
Full Story
The U.N. peacekeeping force deployed in southern Lebanon known as UNIFIL said Wednesday it is increasingly concerned about fighting between Hezbollah and Israeli soldiers near its positions, putting peacekeepers at risk, including with explosions of drones in and around U.N. bases.
UNIFIL said that a presumed Hezbollah drone detonated inside its headquarters in the coastal town of Naqoura on Tuesday, following earlier presumed Hezbollah drone detonations on Monday and Tuesday. No one was injured, but some buildings were damaged.
Full Story
The heads of the Israeli defense establishment on Wednesday presented Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with a number of technological solutions for the threat of Hezbollah's fiber-optic drones, the Israel Hayom newspaper said.
Full Story
Direct contacts have taken place between Baabda Palace and Ain el-Tineh, and indirect contacts have been made with Hezbollah, through Speaker Nabih Berri, to persuade the Iran-backed group to agree to a ceasefire if Israel does in the Thursday-Friday talks in Washington, a media report said.
Full Story
Saudi special envoy for Lebanon, Prince Yazid bin Farhan, intends to visit Beirut early next week to monitor political developments related to the Washington negotiations and the 'anticipated escalation of internal and regional disputes and pressures," al-Akhbar newspaper reported.
Full Story
The head of the Lebanese delegation to the talks with Israel, Ambassador Simon Karam, has requested that U.S. State Department officials not open the scheduled negotiations on Thursday and Friday to the press, preferring to keep the deliberations behind closed doors, without statements or press conferences after the meetings, media reports said.
Meanwhile, the Lebanese embassy in Washington is expected to have finalized a dossier that Karam and the Lebanese delegation will take to the negotiations. This dossier includes documentation of Israeli violations on the ground, maps illustrating the occupied areas, and figures and data related to destruction and land confiscation operations, as well as the number of civilian casualties.
Full Story
President Joseph Aoun expressed "deep concern" following the latest Israeli ground incursion north of the Litani River and made "direct contact with senior officials in the U.S. administration, as well as with the Lebanese ambassador to Washington, Nada Moawad, with the aim of pressuring Israel and compelling it to establish a ceasefire before any negotiations can begin," media reports said.
Full Story
Lebanon has responded to Iranian letters sent to the U.N., accusing Tehran of violating the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, interfering in Lebanese sovereign affairs, and embroiling the country in a devastating war against its will.
Independent Arabia had earlier reported that Lebanon had filed a U.N. complaint against Iran. But the Lebanese Foreign Ministry clarified Wednesday evening that it has not complained against Iran but rather responded to Iranian letters sent to the organization.
Full Story


