Lebanon
Latest stories
Aoun: State protects all sects, cabinet decisions unprecedented

President Joseph Aoun stressed Monday the need that Lebanon “meet the Arab and international interest in the country through boosting the confidence restoration steps.”

W140 Full Story
Syrian delegation to visit Lebanon for talks on prisoners, demarcation

A Syrian delegation will visit Lebanon this week to prepare for a high-level meeting between Lebanese and Syrian officials, media reports said.

Pro-Hezbollah al-Akhbar newspaper reported Monday that a committee from the Syrian ministries of foreign affairs, interior, and justice, will visit Beirut next Thursday to arrange for the official meeting.

W140 Full Story
Iran official says Hezbollah disarmament plan 'will never be implemented'

Brig. Gen. Iraj Masjedi, the assistant commander of Iran’s Quds Force for coordination affairs, announced Monday that “the Hezbollah disarmament plan in Lebanon is an American-Zionist plan that will never be implemented.”

Recent and similar statements by the same official and by other Iranian officials had prompted Lebanese authorities to strongly condemn “interference” in Lebanon’s domestic affairs.

W140 Full Story
Report: Army hasn't demanded extending Hezbollah disarmament deadline

The Lebanese Army has not asked for an extension of the deadline set by the Lebanese government for the disarmament of Hezbollah and the other armed groups in the country, a Lebanese military source said.

“The army’s plan for the removal of Hezbollah’s arms has become almost ready,” the source told Al-Arabiya’s Al-Hadath channel.

W140 Full Story
Hezbollah and Amal walk back after calling for protest over disarmament

Hezbollah and Amal called off Monday a rally they had called for in protest at the government's decision to disarm Hezbollah by the year end.

The workers' departments of Hezbollah and Amal had called for a rally Wednesday in Riad al-Solh.

W140 Full Story
One killed in Israeli drone strike on car in Tebnine

An Israeli drone strike that targeted a car on the Tebnine road in south Lebanon killed one person, the health ministry said Monday.

Another drone strike had earlier targeted a car in Sarbine, causing no casualties. Media reports said the same car was later targeted in Tebnine as the first strike failed to kill the driver.

W140 Full Story
Netanyahu offers 'phased' withdrawal if Lebanon disarms Hezbollah

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said Israel was ready to back Lebanon's efforts to disarm Hezbollah and offered "a phased" pullout of its troops if Lebanon followed through with plans to seize the group's weapons.

"Israel stands ready to support Lebanon in its efforts to disarm Hezbollah and to work together towards a more secure and stable future for both nations," said Netanyahu, according to a statement released by his office.

W140 Full Story
UN Security Council to vote on embattled Lebanon peacekeepers

The United Nations Security Council will vote Monday on the future of the blue helmet peacekeeping mission in southern Lebanon that has faced U.S. and Israeli opposition.

The Council will vote on a French-drafted compromise that would keep the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), deployed in 1978 to separate Israel and Lebanon, in place for one more year while it prepares to withdraw.

W140 Full Story
Barrack meets Netanyahu on US request that Israel restrain strikes in Lebanon

U.S. envoy Tom Barrack arrived in Israel and met on Sunday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu regarding the Trump administration’s request that Israel restrain its strikes in Lebanon, as well as about the negotiations with Syria, three Israeli and U.S. sources told U.S. news portal Axios.

W140 Full Story
Aoun says Lebanon hasn't been informed of 'buffer zone' plans

President Joseph Aoun has said that Lebanon is still awaiting “the final Israeli response” to the Lebanese paper that was carried to Israel by U.S. envoy Tom Barrack.

W140 Full Story