Naharnet
Latest stories
Ortagus arrives in Beirut, lauds Netanyahu's statement on Lebanon

U.S. envoy Morgan Ortagus arrived Monday in Beirut after she visited Israel along with U.S. envoy Tom Barrack.

Prior to her arrival, Ortagus lauded Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's statement on Israel's readiness to gradually decrease its troop presence in south Lebanon in return for Lebanese steps to disarm Hezbollah.

W140 Full Story
Salam stresses need for Israel to withdraw, halt attacks, release captives

In a meeting Monday with visiting U.S. Senators Darin LaHood and Steve Cohen, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam demanded that Israel withdraw from south Lebanon and halt its strikes on Lebanon.

Salam stressed that Israel must respect Lebanon's sovereignty and withdraw from the five hills it is still occupying in south Lebanon, enabling the Lebanese army to complete its deployment in the south. He also called for the release of Lebanese prisoners and for a halt of hostilities which would allow Lebanon to start rebuilding war-hit areas and recover from the 14-month Israeli war.

W140 Full Story
Aoun: State protects all sects, cabinet decisions unprecedented

President Joseph Aoun stressed Monday the need that Lebanon “meet the Arab and international interest in the country through boosting the confidence restoration steps.”

W140 Full Story
Iran official says Hezbollah disarmament plan 'will never be implemented'

Brig. Gen. Iraj Masjedi, the assistant commander of Iran’s Quds Force for coordination affairs, announced Monday that “the Hezbollah disarmament plan in Lebanon is an American-Zionist plan that will never be implemented.”

Recent and similar statements by the same official and by other Iranian officials had prompted Lebanese authorities to strongly condemn “interference” in Lebanon’s domestic affairs.

W140 Full Story
Hezbollah and Amal walk back after calling for protest over disarmament

Hezbollah and Amal called off Monday a rally they had called for in protest at the government's decision to disarm Hezbollah by the year end.

The workers' departments of Hezbollah and Amal had called for a rally Wednesday in Riad al-Solh.

W140 Full Story
One killed in Israeli drone strike on car in Tebnine

An Israeli drone strike that targeted a car on the Tebnine road in south Lebanon killed one person, the health ministry said Monday.

Another drone strike had earlier targeted a car in Sarbine, causing no casualties. Media reports said the same car was later targeted in Tebnine as the first strike failed to kill the driver.

W140 Full Story
Netanyahu offers 'phased' withdrawal if Lebanon disarms Hezbollah

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said Israel was ready to back Lebanon's efforts to disarm Hezbollah and offered "a phased" pullout of its troops if Lebanon followed through with plans to seize the group's weapons.

"Israel stands ready to support Lebanon in its efforts to disarm Hezbollah and to work together towards a more secure and stable future for both nations," said Netanyahu, according to a statement released by his office.

W140 Full Story
Barrack meets Netanyahu on US request that Israel restrain strikes in Lebanon

U.S. envoy Tom Barrack arrived in Israel and met on Sunday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu regarding the Trump administration’s request that Israel restrain its strikes in Lebanon, as well as about the negotiations with Syria, three Israeli and U.S. sources told U.S. news portal Axios.

W140 Full Story
Aoun says Lebanon hasn't been informed of 'buffer zone' plans

President Joseph Aoun has said that Lebanon is still awaiting “the final Israeli response” to the Lebanese paper that was carried to Israel by U.S. envoy Tom Barrack.

W140 Full Story
Bassil mocks handover of arms truck at Burj al-Barajneh camp

Free Patriotic Movement chief Jebran Bassil said during an FPM dinner in the al-Zahrani region that “every martyr who fell” in the South “did not only fall in defense of the South, but rather entire Lebanon.”

W140 Full Story