Associated Press
Latest stories
'No Other Land,' an Israeli-Palestinian collaboration, wins Oscar for best documentary

"No Other Land," the story of Palestinian activists fighting to protect their communities from demolition by the Israeli military, won the Oscar for best documentary on Sunday.

The collaboration between Israeli and Palestinian filmmakers follows activist Basel Adra as he risks arrest to document the destruction of his hometown at the southern edge of the West Bank, which Israeli soldiers are tearing down to use as a military training zone. Adra's pleas fall on deaf ears until he befriends a Jewish Israeli journalist who helps him amplify his story.

W140 Full Story
Complete list of winners at the 97th Academy Awards

Adrien Brody took home his second leading man Oscar for "The Brutalist," Mikey Madison took home the best actress statuette and "Anora" was crowned best picture on its way to five awards Sunday.

Kieran Culkin won the Oscar for best supporting actor for his work on "A Real Pain" and Zoe Saldaña won for her work in "Emilia Pérez." Sean Baker had a stunning night, winning the screenplay, director and editing awards for "Anora."

W140 Full Story
Trudeau to bring up Trump's threat to annex Canada in meeting with King Charles

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will meet with King Charles III, the country's head of state, on Monday where he will discuss U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make Canada the 51st state.

The king has come under criticism in Canada for being silent about Trump's threats to annex Canada.

W140 Full Story
1 killed and 4 wounded in stabbing attack in Haifa

A 70-year-old man was killed and four other people were wounded in a stabbing attack Monday in the northern Israeli city of Haifa. Israeli authorities said the assailant was killed.

Israel's police said the perpetrator was a member of Israel's Druze Arab minority who recently returned from abroad.

W140 Full Story
Jumblat says will visit Syria soon as tensions with Israel simmer

Former PSP leader Walid Jumblat said Sunday that he will soon visit Syria to meet its interim leader as tensions simmer between members of the minority Druze group, the war-torn country's interim government, and Israel.

"The free Syrians must be cautious of the plots of Israel," veteran Druze leader Walid Jumblat said at a news conference Sunday, accusing Israel and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of creating sectarian division and chaos in the country. "In Syria there is a plot for sabotage. There is a plot for sabotage in the region and for the Arabs' national security."

W140 Full Story
White House row with Ukraine raises stakes for European summit in London

It was supposed to cap a week of whirlwind diplomacy advancing the prospect of peace in Ukraine.

But a summit of European leaders on Sunday has been overshadowed by the extraordinary scolding by U.S. President Donald Trump of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House on Friday for being ungrateful for U.S. support. The London meeting has now taken on greater importance in defending the war-torn ally and shoring up the continent's defenses.

W140 Full Story
Israel tells army to prepare to defend a Druze community outside Syria's capital

Israel's defense ministry said the military has been instructed to prepare to defend a Druze settlement in the suburbs of Damascus, asserting that the minority it has vowed to protect was "under attack" by Syrian forces.

The statement, citing an order from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz, follows an Israeli warning last weekend that the forces of neighboring Syria's new government and the insurgent group that led last year's ouster of former President Bashar Assad should not enter the area south of Damascus.

W140 Full Story
Israel cuts off aid to Gaza in attempt to pressure Hamas to accept new ceasefire proposal

Israel stopped the entry of all goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip on Sunday and warned of "additional consequences" if Hamas does not accept a new proposal for an extension of the first phase of a fragile ceasefire.

Hamas accused Israel of trying to derail the truce and said its decision to cut off aid was "cheap extortion, a war crime and a blatant attack on the (ceasefire) agreement." Both sides stopped short of saying the ceasefire had ended.

W140 Full Story
With flowers, tears and defiance, thousands bury nearly 100 Lebanese in mass funeral

Thousands of mourners in southern Lebanon attended a funeral for nearly 100 Lebanese killed last year during the war between Israel and Hezbollah.

It was the largest mass burial ceremony in Lebanon since the U.S.-brokered ceasefire three months ago. It followed last week's burial of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah's former leader, and his top aide in Beirut attended by tens of thousands.

W140 Full Story
Trump administration approves major nearly $3 billion arms sale to Israel

The Trump administration has approved a major nearly $3 billion arms sale to Israel, bypassing a normal congressional review to provide the country with more of the 2,000-pound bombs that it has used in the war against Hamas in Gaza.

In a series of notifications sent to Congress late Friday, the State Department said it had signed off on the sale of more than 35,500 MK 84 and BLU-117 bombs and 4,000 Predator warheads worth $2.04 billion.

W140 Full Story